CROCKPOT, CHILI, EASY, SUPPER, SCHOOL NIGHT MEAL, RECIPE, FOOD, DINNER, QUICK MEALS
When it’s chilly willy outside, do you bust out with your crockpot and start cooking up all the hot recipes you save for the cold weather? I sure do. And my super easy beef chili for a crockpot recipe is at the very top of my list.
It’s just something about throwing a bunch of stuff in the crockpot, setting the timer and walking off. Magical things are happening if supper is getting cooked without you standing over a stove all day right?!
And brownie points with the hubster because beef chili is a man-pleaser too. Let’s face it, if they think it’ll put hair on their chest, they want it. Sometimes, I let my husband make the chili but only if I’m feeling adventurous.
All the other times, our chili is pretty much standard except one little TIME SAVING TRICK I use. You can read about it right here. I’ve started making our chili kid-friendly in the beginning stages.
I ladle out some right when I add the sauce and before I add most of the spices for my toddler and then I dress it up with all of the yummy extras. He is happy because he’s eating the same thing as dad and it all works out.
I like the thought of cooking from scratch but that doesn’t happen very often. This recipe calls for most everything from a can. It takes the guess work out of trying to “get it right” and keeps me from spending all my time at the stove. I don’t have the patience to sauté every single thing I’m putting in it.
A couple hours later, we are ready to chow down because the house smells absolutely delicious. It’s pretty rough to have to wait but completely worth it when you’re eating a big bowl of beef chili goodness.
Toss in some crackers (because no one will eat Fritos in this house, weird) and both my fellas are super happy. Side note: I almost banned crackers from this house thanks to my darling 3 year old 🙂
The time saving trick also keeps me from having extra pans to wash so double win for a minimum clean up time.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 can Bush Kidney Beans - chili style
- 1 can Bush Pinto Beans - chili style
- 2 cans Rotel Tomatoes - chili style
- 1 12 oz can tomato sauce or paste
- 1 12 oz can tomato sauce w/diced chiles or of your choice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- *optional garnishes:
- shredded cheese - I used sharp cheddar
- Crackers or Fritos
- sour cream
- Brown your ground beef and drain
- Add to your crockpot all the ingredients and mix together
- Set your crockpot on low for 4 - 6 hours
- Serve with optional garnishes.
- If you need a kid friendly version use ingredients without anything containing chili powder or other hot spices. Or spoon out a portion for them before adding any ingredients with chili powder and then add those spices.