The other night, I got toothpaste in my eye. The burning sensation was instant and intense! The pain was so bad it left me babbling and semi-incapacitated. I needed help fast, I needed a first aid kit! We have this one…
Ok, let’s back up to what happened. I was in a hurry, as usual, to get through my nightly bathroom routine. I wanted discuss the day’s events with my husband before he had to go to sleep. I remember grabbing my toothbrush in one hand, the toothpaste in the other hand and wiggling off the cap.
Just putting a pea size amount of paste on the brush and WHAM! I actually saw it coming.
When applying the toothpaste, I inadvertently bent some bristles back which slung a dollop of minty toothpaste straight at my eye. This has never happened to me before and I hope it never happens again, but my dumb luck… All I could do was hold my eye and endure the horrible burn that seemed to be eating my right eye.
It hurt so bad, I wanted this torture to stop now.
My husband, hearing my desperate cries, reminds me to be calm and flush my eye with water. Why didn’t I do that immediately? Maybe the whole episode caught me off guard.
It never occurred to me as I was whimpering in my bathroom that I could help myself. I didn’t have to just stand there.
The faucet is turned on full blast and I’m slapping my eye with water. Aww, the relief is washing over me and it was heaven.The floor, counter and my clothes are sopping wet but my eye feels so much better, hooray! Besides the clean-up this toothpaste mishap is over.
WHY AM I TELLING YOU ALL THIS?
I have a two year old that I would never want to experience that kind of pain. No one wants their child to have any kind of pain whatsoever. How can I prevent a weird accident like toothpaste in the eye?
Well, you can try to live in a bubble but we’re all human and strange accidents happen to us all, prime example is this story.
Try to learn about first aid, it could help you and your family. Let’s remember, when someone is in extreme pain (minty toothpaste in the eye is like fire) it’s hard to reason with them so take control of the situation.
It took my husband to remind me what to do because all I could think of was “oh snap my eye is killing me” and froze.
A first aid kit, either put together by you or bought pre-packaged, is a must have for your household, so consider your family size and buy accordingly.
.Here’s where I should insert a disclaimer; I am not a health care professional (obviously right?!) so when in doubt about the medical needs of you and your family, please consult your doctor. Even though I was also making fun of myself for getting attacked by toothpaste, here’s the real 411: it’s toxic.
If you google fluoride toxicity it’ll make you want to throw out every tube of toothpaste you have and just use a wire brush. Did you know that toothpaste is full of all kinds of abrasive ingredients? I’m lucky that I wasn’t truly harmed.
Although I didn’t use anything but tap water, if it happened to my child, would a squirt bottle or saline be helpful, I wasn’t sure.
We all should have a plan of “rescue” in advance, it might make the difference between somebody just standing there (me) and aid being delivered right away.
Do you have the number to poison control, if not here it is: 1-800-222-1222. You can look them up on the web at www.aapcc.org.
Take a lesson from my freak accident that they do occur. Watch out for minty toothpaste, too much is poisonous and practice safety while brushing your teeth. Ha, this is the last thing I thought I’d ever have to worry about.
Invest in a first aid kit, your family’s boo-boo’s will thank you!
You can find more funny stories on our Facebook page, click here to join 🙂