When it’s chilly willy outside, do you bust out with your crockpot and start cooking up all the hot recipes you save for the cold weather? I sure do. And my super easy beef chili for a crockpot recipe is at the very top of my list.
It’s just something about throwing a bunch of stuff in the crockpot, setting the timer and walking off. Magical things are happening if supper is getting cooked without you standing over a stove all day right?!
And brownie points with the hubster because beef chili is a man-pleaser too. Let’s face it, if they think it’ll put hair on their chest, they want it. Sometimes, I let my husband make the chili but only if I’m feeling adventurous.
All the other times, our chili is pretty much standard except one little TIME SAVING TRICK I use. You can read about it right here. I’ve started making our chili kid-friendly in the beginning stages.
I ladle out some right when I add the sauce and before I add most of the spices for my toddler and then I dress it up with all of the yummy extras. He is happy because he’s eating the same thing as dad and it all works out.
I like the thought of cooking from scratch but that doesn’t happen very often. This recipe calls for most everything from a can. It takes the guess work out of trying to “get it right” and keeps me from spending all my time at the stove. I don’t have the patience to sauté every single thing I’m putting in it.
A couple hours later, we are ready to chow down because the house smells absolutely delicious. It’s pretty rough to have to wait but completely worth it when you’re eating a big bowl of beef chili goodness.
Toss in some crackers (because no one will eat Fritos in this house, weird) and both my fellas are super happy. Side note: I almost banned crackers from this house thanks to my darling 3 year old 🙂
The time saving trick also keeps me from having extra pans to wash so double win for a minimum clean up time.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 can Bush Kidney Beans - chili style
- 1 can Bush Pinto Beans - chili style
- 2 cans Rotel Tomatoes - chili style
- 1 12 oz can tomato sauce or paste
- 1 12 oz can tomato sauce w/diced chiles or of your choice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- *optional garnishes:
- shredded cheese - I used sharp cheddar
- Crackers or Fritos
- sour cream
- Brown your ground beef and drain
- Add to your crockpot all the ingredients and mix together
- Set your crockpot on low for 4 - 6 hours
- Serve with optional garnishes.
- If you need a kid friendly version use ingredients without anything containing chili powder or other hot spices. Or spoon out a portion for them before adding any ingredients with chili powder and then add those spices.